Mrs Sandhya Kulkarni wrote from Pune, INDIA:

  In June 1998, I saw myself formally getting wedded to Olive-green and white... happily married to an Indian Army medical officer!

  The day not only makes me feel proud but also complete.... because I would be known as a wife of a person who wore his olive-green uniform to protect the country and at the same time was ready to save the lives of fellow soldiers and our fellow Indians in his white uniform. And what's my role??.... I stand beside him as a strong and confident pillar of support as an additional responsibility. The feeling of pride and gratitude became so strong when my man in the uniform became an 'Anaesthesiologist'....a 'life saver'. I still remember the day ....of my first experience or encounter with the medical treatment given in a critical case.....where I witnessed him saving one wounded soldier's life and a child who came to a Military hospital in a very critical state. I was amazed and thanked God for sending such miraculous Saviours on the earth as 'Doctors'... The Healers!!

  It was just a beginning of a vast treasure of Medical and Army life journey, offering a blissful explorative experience through a gallery of various postings. Yes!! It was just a beginning.

  This journey of 24 years not only took me to distant places in our country but also made me strong, confident and well-informed about various aspects of life.

  Amazing places with amazing facts undoubtedly left a strong impression on my mind. My diary never felt short of words and stories. 'Am in Army now,'...state..... changed my outlook about various issues, various problems we all face or come across sometimes, only due to media or friends who have witnessed something unusual in their lives. So many new friends, new tasks, new commitments, new achievements, new hardships, new adjustments, new tests.... believe me ... life was and still is always so ready to witness amazing new stories and events when one becomes a part of an Army family.

  Our first posting after our marriage was Narendra Nagar, a beautiful town Narendra nagar is situated 16kms from Rishikesh at an elevation of 1,322 meters above sea level. It is a charming hamlet offering panoramic views of the Ganga River and the Doon Valley. Narendra Nagar was the former capital of Tehri state. It is popular for two reasons - first, its proximity with Rishikesh and second, it is situated on the Gangotri and Yamunotri route...but for us, it was a modified field station, with an ad-hoc accommodation and basic amenities. It was rain-fed like Cherrapunji as it was a mountain face from the plains. A place where I realized that for a girl from a city like Mumbai- Pune what it means to live in mountains.

  I got my first experience of chilblains in my fingers and toes there in the peak of winters and also enjoyed staying in cloud-filled houses on top of the hills during monsoon. It was the first station where I started to teach in school. When the whole unit ( only soldiers, officers) would go out for field training practice or exercise to field areas in mountains, I would stay back because of my job. Sometimes my father would accompany me in cold winters of Dev Bhoomi...or I would stay with other ladies in the Cantt. Oh, what an experience that too. A girl from a middle-class family was learning to manage everything... confidently. My first lesson after I got associated with Army life. . DARE TO CARE, ADJUST AND ACCEPT!

  But this is again just a beginning of another interesting, fun-filled, adventurous chapter full of vivid tales and spirits.

Fuel of faith took us safely

  It was winter time. The entire unit had gone for the field/firing practice for a few months. We all ladies / families were staying back helping each other get somehow engaged in our day-to-day life. Frequent heavy showers, cold nights, sometimes no electricity, getting news of our fighters once in a while through messengers or army signals, still keeping oneself busy in daily routine, but waiting... waiting...and waiting was our life then. Luckily, this time my father was with me so I was quite happy. Got a news from my husband that towards the end of the field practice, I along with my father could visit the place near Auli which is just 11 km ahead of Joshimath, in Himalayas. I was extremely excited.... gathered our things, the day was fixed, with heavy warm winter clothes and eagerness to meet my soldier we set out for Auli.... early in the morning, though it was still very dark we hit the road by 5.30 in the morning. We were accompanied by only our fauji Army driver who was driving an old-style Army jeep. Driving in clouds, with a feeling of excitement and fear as we were witnessing terrifying sights of landslides, broken roads due to rains at few places. Driving with the gushing sound of Ganga river as our companion till we reached Joshimath was even making it more terrifying and amazing at the same time.

  The road from Joshimath to Auli is generally pretty. The stretch is especially scenic, mountains everywhere, but narrow, crumbling, serpentine or zigzag road, slushy in places, with sheer unguarded drops made this stretch dangerous too. Our respect for the drivers of heavily-laden lorries, small vans and especially huge Army trucks and tanks who ply this route on a regular basis, went up several notches. After having some snacks and tea as per the advice of our driver, we immediately started for the next journey. It was 5 in the evening.....we could see the snow-laden peaks of Auli Standing at around 2,800 m, and surrounded by acres of oak and coniferous forests, offering panoramic views of some of India’s highest peaks, including the second-highest in the country, Nanda Devi (7,816m). It is also the gateway to the Nanda Devi and the Valley of Flowers National Park, including the Hemkund Sahib gurdwara, and popular trekking destinations such as Gorson Bugyal, Pangerchulla Summit, and Tapovan can be accessed through Auli. We were trying to capture the beautiful panoramic view with our camera and suddenly our jeep stopped!!!

  We were a little worried.... but our driver checked the engine and restarted it with full confidence. We were relieved again. And the driver said...." Madam (ji), do you believe in God?" little surprised with his sudden question I smiled but immediately replied..." Yes, of course...I believe in the supreme power... God almighty! But why are you asking this? "

  He started..." Madam here in mountains people tell a lot of stories of his existence. They say we all are in hands of Bhagwan ( God), who knows and sees everything." And he continued with his exciting stories. It was 6... outside it was pitch dark and suddenly our vehicle stopped again in the middle of the road. The driver got down again, pretended to check something and quickly started the engine... But when it happened 2-3 times we started to get worried. Still, in a very calm and composed language he would tell us to sit comfortably inside.

  "Madam (ji) don't worry... Bhagwan hai!! yes, God is with us!! We would reach Auli in time". Two hours of tension, panicky situation, no street lights, no dividing line in the middle, headlights were rather dim and the surrounding darkness was dense and impenetrable. .... On one side was a descent of at least 300-400 meters deep, on the other a wall of rocks with no safety nets covering them. Oh God...just help us. Let us reach Auli safely. We two... daughter and father fully confident about our Army driver, still little worried, could not sit still in the back. And suddenly lights of an army camp appeared, still a few meters away but building our hopes and spirits high. We kept on talking to our driver bhaiya, asking him general questions about mountains, elevation and distance, but he must have guessed my fears and reassured me that he had many years behind the wheel. He explained to me that I shouldn’t worry. And yes, he was absolutely right. By 7.30 we entered the camp.... wide gates of Army camp were welcoming us. And our jeep stopped again.... but this time not to start. My legs were shaking, my heart was pounding and I was dizzy. I could see my husband with one officer and soldier coming towards us. ....Oh, what a relief!! We stood patiently with all the excitement and stories in our minds to tell ... After a warm and grand welcome by my husband when we started to walk towards our rooms...the fellow officer with our driver came and suddenly stopped us. " Maa'm... what a miracle!!...This is truly a land of God." I was confused and curious about what they were talking about. And they continued..." There was no petrol in your vehicle, maa'm. How did you all reach here.... on these roads with an empty tank, only God knows". As I was awestruck and could barely respond just looked at our driver.... With a confident smile on his face he said.... "Madam ji...I told you. Bhagwan (God) hai. There is God. everywhere. Taking care of all."

Mrs Sandhya Kulkarni lives in Pune, India. She is a teacher, councelor, writer, Mrs India Punjab and Mrs India iconic classic 2018.

Do you have a touching real-life-story that you think will appeal to the hearts of the readers? Submit your story here



  Time for SHOPPING !
  Everything from A to Z 24x7